Chrome OS isn’t probably the most option-packed working system round, however there are some issues you are able to do to make your Chromebook’s desktop look and work the way in which you need.
Customize your Chromebook’s wallpaper
First, let’s sort out your desktop’s fundamental look:
- Right-click anyplace on your Chromebook’s desktop and choose Set wallpaper from the menu that seems.
- Click on one among Google’s classes to see a number of preset pictures, or click on the My Images choice to select a picture from your personal native storage.
- If you need your wallpaper to change to a brand new picture daily, click on the Change Daily button that’s accessible on the high of any of Google’s class pages. (That choice, sadly, isn’t at present accessible with your personal pictures.)
Customize your browser’s background
You may also personalize the web page that comes up each time you open a brand new tab in your browser:
- Open a brand new tab in Chrome and click on the Customize Chrome button (or the pencil icon) within the browser’s decrease proper nook.
- Select Background to select a picture from Google’s assortment or Upload from machine to choose a picture from your personal native storage, then comply with the prompts to discover and make sure the picture you need.
- Select Color and theme to change the look of the border of your browser and its background. You can select from numerous preset themes, or click on on the circle with the dropper icon, and you’ll select customized colours.
Customize your Chromebook’s shelf
Last however not least, take management of the Chrome OS shelf — the dock-like row of shortcuts on the backside of your display screen. Start by deciding on precisely what icons seem in that space:
- Open your app drawer (by clicking the circle icon within the lower-left nook of the display screen after which clicking the upward-facing arrow on the partial drawer that seems). Right-click any merchandise within the record and choose Pin to shelf.
- If you need to add a web site, open the positioning, click on the three-dot menu icon in Chrome’s higher proper nook, after which choose More instruments, adopted by Create shortcut.
If you need the positioning to open in an app-like window, with out the standard browser parts on high, click on the Open as window choice within the Create shortcut? pop-up window that seems. Then click on the blue Create button.
- Drag and drop any of the icons within the shelf to change their place.
- Have you determined that you just don’t need the icon in your shelf in spite of everything? Right-click on the icon and choose Unpin.
And one last pair of prospects: If you need your shelf to seem on the left or proper aspect of your display screen as an alternative of on the backside, right-click anyplace inside it, choose Shelf place, then choose Left or Right. And if you’d like your shelf to stay hidden by default and seem solely while you mouse over it, right-click the shelf and choose the Autohide shelf choice.
Update May 27th, 2022, 9:30AM ET: This article was initially printed on October 12th, 2019, and has been up to date to account for slight modifications within the OS.