This government’s ranges of cruelty are nonetheless rising inexorably. The newest proof is its resolution to enchantment in opposition to the courtroom of enchantment’s judgment that Shamima Begum have to be allowed to current her case in opposition to the elimination of British citizenship in individual (Shamima Begum: Home Office to fight court rule letting Isis recruit return to UK, 16 July).
Of course what she initially did in becoming a member of Isis was wholly improper, however she was a schoolgirl of 15 when she absconded, and statements she made supporting Isis have been made with an Isis official standing over her. Under duress she was made to marry an Isis gunman with whom she had three youngsters, all of whom died. What an appalling 5 years for a younger girl.
Has the authorities no compassion for Shamima Begum? Which of us is mature and competent sufficient to make lifetime selections at the age of 15? She ought to be allowed to return and make her case in individual.
• Two factors inform my very own opinion that the UK can not and mustn’t shirk its duties on this tragic case. First, Shamima Begum left the nation aged 15 on her sister’s passport. UK Border Control did not detect this and thus failed to guard a minor. Second, Ms Begum can solely be disadvantaged of her citizenship if she has another statehood obtainable. In her case, that possibility is – at the very least – questionable.
Dr David Miller
• Shamima Begum was born on this nation earlier than being groomed as a British baby to simply accept abuse, trauma and loss of life as regular. Why can we then abuse her additional as a substitute of accepting that our society didn’t maintain her secure? Whether we deplore her actions will not be the level. She is one of our kids and wants our assist in addition to punishment for any crimes she has dedicated.
Our government’s response has been shameful, however sadly in line with the callous perspective in direction of abused youngsters and those that find yourself in the care of the state, of whom too many find yourself in the penal system or destitute.
• Shamima Begum have to be given a good probability to current her case, and the courtroom will decide after figuring out its deserves. Whether or not a precedent will likely be set is irrelevant (Shamima Begum ruling reignites debate over Britons who joined Isis, 16 July).
• The stance of the authorities over Shamima Begum is profoundly missing in human understanding or compassion. She could be a sufferer, however let’s not name it grooming. Perhaps it’s a case of a lady waking to consciousness and, like many younger individuals, looking to interact with a fancy world by faith or social causes. Ms Begum could possibly be seen as a youngster with a disrespect for authority. Now, at the age of 21, she has collected an unlimited quantity of expertise that will nicely have offered her with deep private perception into complicated points central to up to date life.
This expertise may dissolve into private anger and bitterness or, with encouragement, present the perception and imaginative and prescient that will likely be sorely wanted by the subsequent technology. A mature response to the actions of younger individuals similar to Shamima Begum could be inclusive, making a path again to integration by social help and schooling.
Redhill, North Somerset
• Join the debate – e mail email@example.com
• Read extra Guardian letters – click on right here to go to gu.com/letters